Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest Book One) by Lois Walfrid Johnson

Genre: Historical Fiction, Youth
Length: 191 pages

Reviewed by: Willow Locksley

“Lord, You know that I’m scared right down to my toes. Whatever happens to me – whatever happens in my life – will You help me to know that You’re always with me?” (pg.32)

Lois Walfrid Johnson, author of some 30 books for children and adults, visits Ireland during its early Christian days in Raiders from the Sea, Book One (out of five) of the Viking Quest series. It’s late in the tenth century and the monastery at Glendalough has become a school as well as a place of safety in times of trouble for the people of Wicklow, Ireland. Thirteen-year-old Brianna O’Toole and her family live in ever-present fear of the Viking raiders. When a strange boy mysteriously disappears after Brianna (or “Bree”, as her family calls her) rescues him from the river near her home, she sounds the alarm. Soon Bree and her brother, Devin, find themselves taking on enormous challenges during periods of separation and adventure far from home.

Despite being what many people would consider “too old” for this book, I found it immensely captivating and would recommend it as a great read-aloud book, especially for someone reading to young girls. The author gives occasional explanations that might seem obvious or even corny to older readers, but I believe that these have their place in benefiting a younger audience. She includes some history in her acknowledgements at the end of the book for those interested in learning more about the time period.

From kindhearted Brother Cronan to young and courageous Bree, Christianity is not only presented in this story but reinforced time and time again. Faced with hardship, hunger, and the false gods of the Vikings, the characters draw their strength from the Scriptures and pray continually that the Lord will give them the “courage to win” in times of trial.

I can’t help but wonder where these books were when I was a pre-teen. Things that I now find to be somewhat predictable would undoubtedly have kept me on the edge of my seat! Not that there aren’t surprises enough for the whole family – this book is exciting to the very last page. I can’t wait to get my hands on the following books in the series: Mystery of the Silver Coins, The Invisible Friend, Heart of Courage and finally, The Raider’s Promise.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOOOVE this book and series! I'm a Christian teenage girl who loves reading, and it was nice to have a clean (and a little romantic) adventure series I didn't have to worry about having to stop because of swear words or bad suggestions. This is a good, clean, light read for adventure-loving Christians in the battle for the Lord!!!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by The Writers' Block and must be approved before they will appear on Bookish Blog. We appreciate your patience!